Monday, December 5, 2011

Now That Is Some Bar

I just had to share this with you, since it came to me in perfect timing by way of the super fabulous blog Habitually Chic.  The author, Heather Clawson, was writing a post on the anniversary of the fashion house of  Yves Saint Laurent, which was December 4, 1961.  In her post she shared various images from his Paris apartment.  I couldn't help but notice in many of them the large ovoid shaped object behind the sofa.  The closer I looked, the more I wondered "Is that a bar??"  That sure looks like a server in the background.  On a side note, don't those two look like they are having a good time?  Like a cigarette ad.  I mean that cigarette must be making her feel some kind of good.  Hmm. Maybe it's not a cigarette...


But aaaanyway.... is it art?  Art of some sort.


I see glasses on the piece of furniture in every picture.


So, I googled "Bar in Yves Saint Laurent's home," and low and behold, it IS a bar. Pretty wild looking isn't it?


What I learned was that this bar was a piece commissioned by Yves Saint Laurent from the recently deceased Francois-Xavier Lalanne.  I must have read five or six sights trying to understand this piece and learn more about it.  I found this on the Christie's website: In maillechort and brass, two tiered, the upper tier with an ovoid bottle-rack in metal set in motion by a counterweight mechanism, with a horn-form shaker, a spherical ice bucket and a cylindrical crystal glass vase by the Cristalleries de Choisy-le-Roi, the vase passing through the two tiers, supported by four steel feet cut with a blowtorch.  Whoa.  That ovoid shaped thing is set in motion?!  That is crazy.  You can read more about it here on the Christie's website, including that it appears to have sold at auction for $3,548,960 in Paris.  For that price I kinda wonder if it does not self-make drinks, at least for its master.  But wow, definitely artistic and totally stylish.  


Do you have pictures of your bar or drink making area you would like to share with me?  I would love to see them!  If so, please email me at whitley_a@yahoo.com. I love hearing what you have to say!

'Tis the season for a little bubbly, always in style.... Whitley
Gosh, is it happy hour yet? I feel with all this bar talk I need to go make myself a beverage!  

1 comment:

  1. I love totally unique pieces like this. It really makes me want to get cracking on my own armoire to bar project but I just can't land on an idea! Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!
Also follow the Queen City Style on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!