Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dance the Night Away, Queen City Style (This one's for you, Dad!)

I was raised, unequivocally, on two things:  Music and Dancing.  Both of my parents love to dance and both have GOT the Boogie Woogie, which they've passed on to me.  I'm not saying I am the world's best dancer. I'm just saying that if biology and environment are impact factors, it would be next to impossible for me not to inherit some similar level of passion for the fun.

My Mom and Dad 

My parents divorced when I was 12 years old, and so my weekends often consisted of road trips to the Palmetto State to visit Dad.  More specifically, the Grand Strand, and once more, Georgetown, Pawley's Island and you got it... Myrtle Beach, Baby.  My Dad has been Shag dancing since he was a teenager.  Think...


This meant that most of my weekends with Dad were fairly dance-centered.  So fun.
Since this blog post is about dancing in the Queen City, I'll just show you this one pic of me and my dear 'ole Dad having some fun on the dance floor the night of my wedding.  Thanks, Dad, for the exposure, the continued good times and too many memories to count!


Dad and I recently attended a Shag and Swing class at local dancing hot spot, Thoroughbred Lounge, off of Highway 16 in the northwest pocket of the Queen City.  On any occasion at Thoroughbred Lounge, you can count on some of the best Shag records spinning via some of the area's best beach music DJ's. But on this occasion, two of the best Shag dancers to ever grace the dance floor were teaching the class.  If you haven't already, meet LeAnn Best and Michael Norris.


I have been watching these two for as long as I can remember. Though Michael and LeAnn are now Mr. and Mrs., they weren't always a couple.  They began dancing in competition against once another. Two years later they joined forces on the dance floor, at which time they began sweeping the competition in both the Junior Division and later in the Professional Division. They are also considered Professionals in the world of Swing dancing.  Click HERE to visit their website, and catch a video of Michael and LeAnn dancing which will knock your socks off.


Michael and LeAnn taught smooth moves to both Shag and Swing dancers alike.  


The gals and guys line up to learn their steps...


If this isn't a sign that more men need to put their big boy pants on and hit the dance floor, then I don't know what is.  What IS it?? Do I hear a little Cyndi?... Girls, they wanna have Fuh-un... Come on now, fellas.


It wasn't long before the lights went down, and everyone took to the dance floor...




If you live in the Queen City and want to put on your boogie woogie shoes, you are in luck with a host of Shag clubs across the region.  I most commonly frequent Lynn's in South Charlotte, where the Charlotte Shag Club meets, in addition to Thoroughbred Lounge, home of Boppers Shag Club. Visit both websites to learn more about Beginner and Intermediate lessons, or just show up for the fun.  There really is no better way to learn than through exposure.

To get your Swing Dance fix, contact the Queen City Keeper of the West Coast Swing, Tommy Ballard, at Tommysellsbmw@gmail.com, or via phone at 704-634-3959, or visit the Charlotte West Coast Swing Facebook Fan Page...

Charlotte West Coast Swing on Facebook
For the love dancing the night away in great style... you don't wanna miss out on this fun!  Whitley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thank you!
Also follow the Queen City Style on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!